March 30, 2018
Writer: Brett Crandall
Sound Alliance and Vocal Union, two musical groups from Brigham Young University–Idaho, will perform seven concerts from April 14-21 in Idaho, Montana, and Washington. Before the tour, a performance will be held in Rexburg, Idaho, on Wednesday, April 4.
The April 4 concert in Rexburg will be held at the Hart Auditorium. Tickets can be purchased through the BYU-Idaho Ticket Office at $3 per student and $6 general public.
Sound Alliance and Vocal Union combine together to create an instrumental and vocal concert that will entertain and inspire audiences of all ages. The groups present a multi-faceted program with both ensembles interwoven to perform inspiring vocal and instrumental jazz selections. Sound Alliance, with its 17 band musicians, and Vocal Union, with 12 singers, will perform a variety of popular, big band and classic jazz tunes. The goal of both performing groups is to uplift audiences through quality music that inspires, entertains and leaves one feeling good. The upbeat nature of their program will appeal to audiences of all ages and backgrounds.
The ensembles are under the direction of Dr. Mark Watkins and Nori Brower, faculty members of the BYU-Idaho Department of Music. Watkins and Brower agree that their favorite part about conducting these groups is the opportunity to work with the students.
“They are absolutely wonderful people that work hard at what they do with excellent results. These students produce beautiful, high-quality music that can be appreciated by any audience,” Watkins said.
- Wednesday, April 4; 7:30 pm Rexburg, Idaho Hart Auditorium
- Saturday, April 14; 7:30 pm Billings, Montana Lincoln Center
- Sunday, April 15; 7:00 pm Billings, Montana Billings LDS East Stake Center
- Tuesday, April 17; 7:00 pm Hamilton, Montana Hamilton Performing Arts Center
- Wednesday, April 18; 7:00 pm Post Falls, Idaho Jacklin Arts
- Thursday, April 19; 7:30 pm Spokane Valley, Wash. Central Valley High School
- Friday, April 20, 7:00 pm Lewiston, Idaho Red Lion Hotel
- Saturday, April 21, 7:00 pm Nampa, Idaho Skyview High School Auditorium